Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Blue Boar Has Evolved from DRAFT 1 to DRAFT 2!

Evening, lads and lassies! I'M ON LAND.

SWEET SWEET LAND.

Oh how I've missed it. Anywho, on with the post!
promised I'd include the gif I mentioned in my last post :)
So, in my last post I promised to elaborate on what the boar is meant to symbolize and how I plan to portray it. As you may have read in my previous blog post, "The Blue Boar & Miss Charlotte"

"According to Wikipedia, boars symbolize "toughness and courage." After reading this, I had to cross check it with another reference, so I found this webpage which said, "[boars] symbolise courage and ferocity in many cultures."

Naturally, as a young child in uncharted territory (she and her mother are more recent residents of Salem), Charlotte would feel uncomfortable or awkward and alone, similar to how a child might feel out of place in a new school after moving to a new area today. While I'd typically back this up with research, I moved away from New York when I was eleven to come to Florida and my journal entries  highlight my loneliness and discomfort upon first arriving here. With this thought in mind, I can surge onward into the depth of our young heroine's mind.

As a young girl, I was always fascinated by fairytales. Naturally, the same might not be said for little children growing up without DVRs that can play "Lion King" over and over again with merely a couple of minutes in between showings. Because Charlotte has yet to reach the age that the witch trials will begin (sorry y'all. although I must admit I had some pretty vivid images of a woman tied to a stake, the song beginning in a way very similar to the opening song in "The Greatest Showman."), which is around 15, I decided it would be wise to research some (if any) fairy tales that may have inspired Charlotte around the time period that our story begins, in 1685, meaning Charlotte is around 8 years old.


One of the most recognizable fairy tales is that of "Cinderella." When I stumbled upon the Toronto Reference Library Blog while searching for the oldest fairy tales on record, I read,

"Giambattista Basile’s Pentamerone, published in 1634 to 1636... Among its 49 stories are prototypes of familiar tales, such as “La Gatta Cenerentola” (“The Cat Cinderella”), in which a young woman named Zezolla receives help from a magic date tree [that helps her] attend the royal feasts. Zezolla loses her slipper at the feast, and the love-struck king orders all women in the land to try the slipper on."

I must tell you that, being a good researcher, I had to check my facts. When I looked up Cendrillon and went to its Wikipedia page I nearly had a heart attack. It said,

"Cendrillon (Cinderella) is an opera—described as a "fairy tale"—in four acts by Jules Massenet to a French libretto by Henri Caïn based on Perrault's 1698 version of the Cinderella fairy tale."


I legitimately read "1698" and almost fainted. I decided I had to look into this further and, of course, looking back on it now I notice the "Perrault's 1698 version."

Nice one Amanda.

Luckily, when I went to find the final verdict on the original writer, Giambattista Basile's page, I read the following,

"He is chiefly remembered for writing the collection of Neapolitan fairy tales titled Lo cunto de li cunti overo lo trattenemiento de peccerille (Neapolitan for "The Tale of Tales, or Entertainment for Little Ones"), also known as Il Pentamerone published posthumously in two volumes by his sister Adriana in Naples, Italy in 1634 and 1636... They include the earliest known versions of Rapunzel and Cinderella."

An excerpt from one of the "Ant-Man" comic books.
You may be wondering, "this may be nice and all, but what's the point of all of this?" The point is, they existed. Fairy tales are what fuel Charlotte's innovative, youthful, creative spirit. The magic of the romance between Rapunzel and her prince as well as the hope imparted by Cinderella's tale could easily have taken root in a child's imagination during that time period. Of course, the tales were not as well known, but for the sake of our tale, we are going to imagine that Charlotte had access to either them or another form of inspiration... (Perhaps her mother before everything happened between her and her husband... parents are often considered heroes by their children, after all. #AntMan)

OMG. WAIT.

HER MOTHER IS THE BOAR.

HOLD UP. HOLD EVERYTHING.

*five minute interlude as Amanda researches a few things concerning the Bradbury lineage*

Okay, so at first I was totally like, "AMANDA MAKE HER MARY BRADBURY'S GRANDDAUGHTER," but then I realized I'd have to change her name as well as potentially her age and a multitude of other things but I've kinda grown to adore Charlotte and what she stands for. Therefore, I've decided she is simply distantly related to her and that in their family, it is common for a fully grown individual to be able to transform into another animal and/or have certain abilities. I guess that confirms Charlotte as one who could develop these powers in the future then! Such a shame I can't write a whole film :(

The boar is actually inspired by her own mother but she's so young that she must've forgotten that it was her mother in the first place. Perfect, let's move on!

I'm about to be dead honest with you, I've been sitting here working on ending of the song and all the other things I hoped to clean up for the last hour and a half and I am sO EXCITED TO SHOW YOU AH HERE IT IS!

As you may notice, I've reinserted the opening 16 bars, it felt like it jumped in too quickly without it. Also, please note that after measure 67, the guitar becomes part of the orchestra, it's not Charlotte's voice anymore.

Well, I'm beat! In my upcoming posts I plan to discuss the filming and editing process as well as my planning (mise en scene, recording, ect.).

Stay tuned, pals!

  • Monster from Frozen
  • True Love from Frozen
  • I Won't Say I'm In Love - Disney Mashup (Thomas Sanders)

AICE Media Portfolio Project. (2018, March 14). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from http://amandamelissamedia.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-blue-boar-miss-charlotte.html
Boars in heraldry. (2018, March 30). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boars_in_heraldry
Cendrillon. (2018, March 31). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cendrillon
Cinderella. (2018, April 01). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella
Giambattista Basile. (2018, April 01). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giambattista_Basile
Lands of Enchantment: A History of Fairy Tales. (n.d.). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from http://torontopubliclibrary.typepad.com/trl/2016/12/lands-of-enchantment-a-history-of-fairy-tales-.html
REVIEW: The Astonishing Ant-Man #13 - "You're My Hero". (2016, October 20). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from http://themarvelreport.com/2016/10/review-the-astonishing-ant-man-13-youre-my-hero/
Wild boar. (n.d.). Retrieved April 01, 2018, from https://treesforlife.org.uk/forest/mythology-folklore/wild-boar2/

No comments:

Post a Comment