Saturday, March 17, 2018

Score? Score!

Here's a glimpse at a score concept I created today! It's really more of testing out how certain instruments sound together and the tone I aspire to convey, but progress is progress! Here's a copy of my work typed up for your viewing pleasure.



While the tune may appear only slightly ominous, the major chords pleasant to listen to, there is a purpose behind this. This concept would be for a scene that shows Charlotte alone, walking. Much like the character of Hester Prynne in "The Scarlet Letter" as well as how Bridget Bishop, the first "witch" to be hanged, carried herself, Charlotte is young, naive, and fearless. I have yet to decide whether or not she is actually a witch. Regardless of that, it's possible that information would be held back from you, dear reader. I've got to keep you interested in my film opening in one way or another!

Also, I've figured out how to make my music heard! Thanks to this heckin' niffy page, I'm now able to share all of my tunes with you as they are created.


Like I said, she's a work in progress. Despite that, I hope that the concept I created was clear. The repetition of the harp's three descending notes sets steady pace and avoids being too intense, the tenderness of the harp meant to allude to peace and tranquility despite the quickness of the notes. In my mind, this excerpt depicts Charlotte on her own, somewhere away from the chaos of Salem. The first set of images that came to my mind was that where Charlotte would be shown with a series of quickly transitioning shots in the forest that she might be running through. Much like Hester Prynne did in "The Scarlet Letter," I visualized Charlotte vying to escape reality even if just for a moment. The edits would be quick and filtered with images of nature to illuminate Charlotte's connection to the natural world, the first indication that she may not be like those in her village which would be shown surrounding her as she leaves for the forest, automatically establishing how she views the town and her life there as secondary to what the natural world has to offer her.


Also, to share some of my inspirations for the selection you just listened to, I was listening to composer Ryan Scott Oliver's "Cut You a Piece" from "35mm: A Musical Exhibition" when I decided to partake in one of my favorite hobbies, trying to transcribe what I here into what I see. When I was working on my transcription, I noticed that what I loved so much about the piece was it's repetitive melody line. As I continued to work on it I developed a pattern: listening, focusing on one line/instrument, writing down what I could recall, checking, and continuing. This is similar to how I created my melody, starting with repetition of a melody line. I elected not to include the same march-like rhythm of the drum because Charlotte's character doesn't abide to a drum, she's a free spirit. I also wanted to establish serenity, which is why I didn't choose to have a drum pushing her onward. This is her time to be herself, nothing tying her back. The quick pacing of the piece is meant to express joy and excitement, the trio of notes played by the harp deeping in the ninth measure to allude to her slowing down, the piece ending in a pleasant major chord in order to suggest that the journey has been completed, she has reached her destination and is pleased.

Witte, D. (1970, January 01). Mr. Witte's Music Tech Blog. Retrieved March 18, 2018, from http://mrwitte.blogspot.com/2015/03/embedding-music-and-videos-from-google.html

No comments:

Post a Comment