Saturday, March 24, 2018

Alea Iacta Est ft. Amanda's Q&A

The casting process is a long and arduous, never ending extravaganza. Okay, so when I first started this project I planned on having one single actress in my film opening.

What a dream that was. 

More on that later! First, allow me to explain why our band of characters has grown in size.

As the daughter of a photography obsessed (she calls it a hobby but, truthfully, she could make it a profession) mother, I’ve been around cameras my whole life. Fortunately, at this point in time she trusts me enough to handle her beautiful Canon on my own, so that’s what I plan to use for my filming. Being influenced by my awesome mother, I've always loved photography. Because of that, Amanda went a little crazy last year on black friday and bought herself a drone. Lucky for me, this happens to be exactly what I needed for my project! I can use the drone to capture images of the forest area from overhead. One of the things I really want to create with my shots is the clear connection between Charlotte and her environment. Now, here’s where this all gets tricky. In order to establish this connection as something stronger than any other presence in my female lead’s life, I need to present other, weaker relationships that illustrate contrast. This is where I had to ask myself some deeper questions.

Why is Charlotte more drawn to nature than to her surroundings?
Because she can be herself without facing scorn and ridicule.

What constitutes as "herself"? Who really is Charlotte, what does she value?
She's shy and quiet but rather creative. She loves to draw and she loves to play outside, which can be explained by her youthful energy and optimism. She's very determined and hates to break rules... when others can find out about it. She's meticulous and clever, able to cover her tracks with ease on account of her intellect. She values her family and respect, as most Puritans did during this time period, but she also values drawing, which the townsfolk may view as selfish. She grows to realize that in the forest she can sketch without people sniffing with tightly closed mouths over her shoulder.

What other relationships has she built in her community?
Like any young child, she must have friends and a family. Charlotte does not have a prominent father figure in her life, he died when she was younger for reasons she is unaware of. Her mother, however, is a prominent component of who she is as a person. She follows the Puritan ideology like a moth to a flame, going to bed and waking up at the same time every morning, never skipping church, and always remaining alert and attentive. She is a perfect Puritan model, almost robotic. Because of this, she feels her daughter must be just like her in order to preserve the Puritan belief she treasures so greatly. As she has not built any relationships beyond quaint acquaintances in her community, how could she build something firm with her daughter?

Tell me more about Charlotte's mother. If she isn't a witch, how could Charlotte ever be considered one?
She is distant, reserved, and composed. However, she's also secretive. She knows what happened to Charlotte's father but keeps the knowledge to herself because she believes she needs to protect Charlotte from what could hurt her. She's a little bit overbearing in this sense but only because she believes that she is doing what's best. Perhaps she had something to do with his disappearance? Maybe she has powers but, similar to how some believe that conversion therapy can change a person's sexuality, believes that by abiding by Puritan values she will be able to free herself from the burden she feels with these powers.

Okay. That was wack. Welcome to the inside of my theatre brain.

Anyways, the purpose for my writing all of this was to come to the conclusion that yes, I do want a mother figure present during the opening scene. On account of the fact that the audience would not learn about any hidden abilities she has prior to their introduction, I felt it pertinent to mention one of my favorite things about including this character.

She sings a capella.

Because the Puritans didn't have instruments in their churches? And she (currently) abides by all of the expectations of a Puritan? Whereas Charlotte is breaking more rules than one!

Get it?

I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN. AH.

As I tried to think about how I'd introduce her another vision came into view. Charlotte's supposed to be a teenager during the majority of the movie, so what if I showed her towards the end of the song as the actress my audience will be seeing for the duration of the film? This way I can introduce more of the common dialect and the development of character that brings her to where she is at the beginning of this story.

Then the panic sets in.

WHO DO I KNOW THAT HAS SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE A YOUNGER VERSION OF THEM.

That's when it hit me.

WHITNEY RIBNICK.

In summary, I have a younger sister who looks a heck of a lot like me. She's also a theatre gal, so I figured I'd ask her if she was down to be in my film. In short, five minutes later she was trying on Charlotte's dress (which fit perfectly, I might add) as my feet did a happy dance around my carpeted floor.

I then made a quick announcement to my theatre class asking about who might be interested and found an awesome gal who was willing to join my cast!

And so, without further adieu, allow me to introduce the cast of The Blue Boar!
Whitney Ribnick as the younger Charlotte Lilly

Hadley Malbec as Bridget Lilly, Charlotte's Mother

Amanda Ribnick as the older Charlotte Lilly

Thanks for sticking around! Here are some tunes to keep you cheery!

  • Welcome to Wonderland from Wonderland
  • Sugar, We're Goin Down (Fall Out Boy)
  • I Hope I Get It from A Chorus Line

No comments:

Post a Comment