Saturday, March 3, 2018

"Okay So We're Doing This..."

As my title's quote from Hamilton would suggest, I have come to a decision of what I plan to create with this project. Ladies and gentleman, a drumroll, please.

I AM PRODUCING A MUSICAL MOVIE.

WOOP!

With the recent success of movies such as "The Greatest Showman" and "La La Land", both coincidentally written by the same duo who won the Tony's for Best Original Score and Best Musical in 2017, Pasek and Paul, it's not difficult to be inspired by the impactful combination of music and acting. As an individual who grew up singing along with movies like "Wizard of Oz", "Hairspray", and, of course, all of the Disney cartoons (you really should've heard my 6-year-old rendition of Part of Your World, I promise it was truly something), I believe these movies shaped me as an individual. They are what remind me that even when everything around you is a disaster, you can still create something beautiful out of it.

For citation purposes, I felt it pertinent to note that
this image is a screenshot taken from the video cited
at the end of this posting.
For instance, in "La La Land", the lead character Mia Dolan, played by Emma Stone, sings the song "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" when she is asked to tell a story at an casting call. Regardless of the fact that Mia is a stressed and failing actress, she manages to take a small moment and turn it into a stunning one, the select emphasis and emotion behind Pasek and Paul's lyrics transforming her away from her reality, her environment fading to black, Mia highlighted by dim key lighting. The darkness surrounding her highlights her internal turmoil and how alone she feels, the dimness of her own light representative of her weakening spirit and drive. Despite this, she proceeds to tell a moving story, suggesting that even as one feels like they are losing hope, art will provide an avenue for expression.

Yeah. Art is beautiful.

Now, onto film openings. The first image that pops into my mind is that of Tracy Turnblad grabbing a container of Ultra Clutch in the 2007 version of "Hairspray", directed by Adam Shankman. The uptempo rhythm and joy portrayed by Nikki Blonsky's Tracy instantly establish the fun aura this movie intends to impart. Because I intend to open my film with a light, happy tone, I plan to utilize this opening as one of my major sources of inspiration. The bright colors and consistent movement within the shots, whether its on behalf of the camera or Blonsky herself is what makes the film so entertaining, the film appropriate both for children and adults. One of the things I liked the most in the opening sequence is the series of close ups that appear before the title of the movie (occurs around 0:09-0:23 in the linked video!). The short clips follow the pulse established by the drums, one of the most prominent parts of the opening song, "Good Morning Baltimore". The addition of the brass to the bells and drums, the melody steadily climbing in pitch, suggests the excitement and anticipation that Tracy feels, establishing her as young, innocent, and adorable.

While I've yet to settle on an exact plot and sub-genre, I refuse to be discouraged. I recognize that there may be challenges concerning budget and equipment, but as I happen to have a microphone and a music programing system, I believe that I will find a way to achieve my goal. OOF IM EXCITED.

Here's a little diddle that I came up with when thinking about how I want my opening to come across. Whether I will use this in my final draft or not I have absolutely no idea. Nevertheless, this is what I currently plan to base my opening on:

 

Also, I figured out how to fix the image quality! The link here should help you out if you ever face similar issues, reader. 

Some tunes for today:
  • Fight Song (Rachel Platten)
  • Never from "Darling"
  • Supercut (Lorde)

14 Nov 2014 Feb 2016Web CodingBlogger. (2016, February 16). How to fix blurry images on Blogger • XOmisse. Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://xomisse.com/blog/how-to-fix-blurry-images-on-blogger/
Hairspray (2007 film). (2018, March 03). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairspray_(2007_film)
R. (2008, February 17). Hairspray - Good Morning Baltimore (Movie Version). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1chTQ58a1Q
Hetrick, A. (2017, June 11). The Complete List of 2017 Tony Winners: Dear Evan Hansen and Hello, Dolly! Lead the Pack. Retrieved March 03, 2018, from http://www.playbill.com/article/the-complete-list-of-2017-tony-winners-dear-evan-hansen-and-hello-dolly-lead-the-pack
La La Land (film). (2018, March 03). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_La_Land_(film)
La La Land - Audition/"The Fools Who Dream" (2016) HD. (2017, April 14). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrgXegJiTq4
The Greatest Showman. (2018, March 02). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Showman

WHI | Get lost in what you love. (2018, February 21). Famous Movie Gifs : theBERRY on We Heart It. Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://weheartit.com/entry/24680748

No comments:

Post a Comment